Wednesday, February 4, 2009

3rd Arrival

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

The remainder of the wood that I ordered arrived yesterday. This includes the curly maple back, sides and neck. At first look, they are beautiful.

Here is the box they came in (and that darned mandolin, again).

And here is the contents. You will notice in this picture that there is tape around the side pieces. This is because it arrived in two pieces, each 2-3/16” x 5/32” thick x 34-1/4” long, taped together just as the two practice pieces did last week. The back came as a single block 2” x 6” x 16-1/2” long that I will have to split in order to create my book-matched set. By all rights, my new 9” bandsaw should be the tool for the job once I figure out how to do it safely.

This picture is an attempt to show the grain and figure of the back. I think it looks great and I think the picture came out pretty well too.

No comments: