Saturday, October 24, 2009

Short Update...

Saturday, October 24, 2009

Not much to report - I’ve been doing a lot of traveling as of late so I haven't had a whole lot of time to devote to this project. What little time I have had has been dedicated to scraping binding and applying finish.

I got to thinking after a comment from Wilbur in my previous post, that maybe one of the reasons I am having so much difficulty with hand-applying lacquer (runs, smudges, long drying times) is that I have been too impatient and have been applying it much to thickly and working it for much too long. So recently I started working the lacquer using a much smaller applicator (a small piece of t-shirt material folded twice) to soak up less, and applying it in very thin coats.

Working like this for several coats has proven to be the ticket, at least for me. Sure the first couple of coats on bare wood don’t give the glossy results I want in the end, but after a couple more coats I am now getting much closer to the results I am wanting. Hopefully, after I add a few more coats to some target areas, I’ll soon be ready to fit the bridge and string ‘er up.

No comments: