Friday, April 24, 2009

Soundboard Repair Complete

Friday, April 24, 2009.

Well, today I got home from work excited to check out my repair joint and pat myself on the back for a job well done. I had, after all, found a way to repair the glue-joint on a "finished" arch-top mandolin. So, after dinner, I took to the task of removing my spring clips and removing my repair blocks.


Looking pretty good. Dried glue beaded up on both the top and bottom of the joint - no problem.

An after only about 3 minutes of block removal - pretty easy.

Then I started scraping and sanding.

And reality hit home.

This was not only the dried glue beaded up on the joint, but the joint itself standing out like a sore thumb. And gaps - not huge ones, not ones that go all the way through - lots of little gaps.


Clearly I can’t use this on a real mandolin - not with a big-ole line down the middle. So I guess it now becomes a wall hanging or expensive kindling. I can’t even use it in the how-a-mandolin-is-built display I want to build someday.

Oh well. I got my new top and side wood earlier this week so I plan to start remaking those parts again this weekend.

So what lessons have I learned from all this, you might ask?

First - when you think you are ready to glue two pieces of wood together, check again that they going where they should and, then, check again.

Second - once you have glued your tone bar in the "wrong" location - leave it.

Third - when you remove that wrongly located tone bar, don't try to salvage it. Carve it out. Destroy it.

Fourth - when you do decide to soak that tone bar free, order new parts. You'll need them.

And, of course (as we all already know), don’t eat the yellow snow.

Later.

No comments: